Monday, December 15, 2008

This Made Me Temporarily Smile

When one is sad, there are always small little things they can do to at least HELP the sadness-condition. It may not take away the sadness, but at least it can put a temporary smile your face. Like this letter I sent to my old landlady today (x-ing out personal info):

December 15, 2008

Reference: Deposit

Joan XXXXX
XXXX S XXXXX Way
Salt Lake City, Utah
84107


Joan XXXXX,

I left a message on your voice mail back in November regarding the fact that I have received absolutely NO response or communication from you in regards to my $600 deposit. I still have yet to hear from you regarding this matter.

When I returned the keys to the apartment to you, you told me that "by law" you had 30 days to respond to me. It has now been twice that time (60 days), as I legally vacated the apartment on October 15, 2008. I did provide you with the required 15-day notice which you did sign. Additionally, I have verified that under Utah law, a landlord must return a tenant's deposit within thirty days after the tenancy ends, or within fifteen days after the landlord's receipt of the tenant's new address, whichever is later. In my 15-day notice, I did provide the address for the returned deposit to be sent to.

According to this information, you are in violation of the landlord/tenant laws of the state of Utah. And under the same Utah law, my rights as a tenant specify that if my landlord does not return my deposit, he or she may be subject to a $100 civil fine and court expenses, as well as the ability for me to sue said landlord in a small claims court.

I'd hate for the situation to come down to taking this to court, but I am willing to take it that far if you continue to fail to respond. As you can see, I am trying to get this handled as quickly and conveniently as possible for the both of us. Yet my rights have been violated and I am unwilling to just let that happen.

In case you misplaced my new address, it is


Jessica Maher
XXXX W XXXXX S
South Jordan, UT 84095

If I do not receive the due refund of $600 (or relating correspondence to my satisfaction) within 10 days (December 25th, 2008), I will be forced to make this a small claims court issue. You will then receive information from the court in regards to when you will need to appear in court for the case to be tried. Additionally, I will also be requesting all filing fees and expenses resulting from this court case to be rewarded to me.

I am also sending a copy of this letter in writing to your physical address. If you have any questions, please contact me at (801)XXX-XXXX or by email at
XXXXX.XXXXXXX@XXXXXXXXX.com.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you,


Jessica Maher

What do you think? Professional yet to-the-point? I hope so......
Much Love!

3 comments:

elbie said...

awesome, and entertaining while professional.

Katie M. said...

YEAH!! You are my idol!

Goofy McWanker said...

Sock it to her! Since I know Miss XXXXX, I also know that you're being much kinder than she deserves and for that, I commend you. By the way, Gepetto's was outstanding!