Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Evolution

It's amazing to me how one errand can evolve into such a complex and tasking need to run other errands. For example, I am divorced. However, due to the Social Security Office being as it was when I GOT married (4 hour wait..... literally), I avoided going back there after my divorce. So my driver's license and social security card still say my married name. I left work yesterday to hit the SSA office (since I think it's probably a good idea to take care of it prior to moving to another state) thinking that it closes at 5 and getting there at 4 would be perfect. Wrong. It closes at 4 and I managed to arrive there at 4:01. Bummer.

So then I wonder what to do as I have my weekly dinner with Mister Man (aka Billy) but he's not off work yet. Hell, I've been wanting to get a new MP3 player since my old one conveniently disappeared during the Great Flood of 2008. (See previous blogs if you are unaware of the events that transpired.)

Best Buy, here I come. So after driving around aimlessly looking for the Best Buy off 21st South (since that's the location that actually had the one I wanted in stock), I finally arrive at my destination. Keep in mind that the driving around aimlessly resulted from my amazing ability to pay attention to the fact that it's on 21st South, but completely ignoring the remaining part of the address, leaving me with no idea what East or West it's on. I meander to the MP3 aisle and *jackpot*. I find my new baby. However..... there's not a salesperson around to get it out of the top-secret locked area where it has made its home. I finally drag a guy over that looks like he's 10. Get my MP3 player. Leave. Success.

Until..... I remember that you can't just zap music into your MP3 player with the power of your mind. Nope, you need what's called a computer. Repeat after me- c-o-m-p-u-t-e-r. So I hop in my car and drive wildly to my storage unit where my laptop happens to reside. Fortunately, I had placed it in a convenient location so I didn't have to dig through all my piles of memories and dusty furniture to get it. Grabbed it. Success.

Until...... I realized that I had NO idea where the chargy thingy was. If the said laptop has no power, there's no possibility of zapping my tunage. So I figure I'll just have to buy a new one.

Mister Man calls, we go to dinner. I have a hilarious picture of the check to post, but this website just took a hit off the crack pipe of functionality and isn't quite up to par today. I'll post when blogspot is sober. So yah, dinner at the Old Spaghetti Factory was delicious and good times were had by all. Or both of us. Though there could have been a killer in that very room..... (shameless plug for an inside joke).

On the way back from dinner I ask Billy if he would like to join me for a wonderful adventure at the local Walmart. He agrees. We hit the first Walmart and decided to see if there were more chargy thingys at another Walmart.

So we hit the OTHER Walmart. Same selection (meaning exactly ONE of the chargy thingys). As it's a necessary expenditure I suck it up and buy it. But people- this IS Walmart. You simply cannot walk into a Walmart and walk out with the one and only item that you originally planned on purchasing. So therefore I was forced to ravage through the $5 movie bin. I had no choice, I tell you! Oh, and I also was forced to buy new music to rip.....

So then I went home and listened to music after the hour of unwrapping, charging, plugging, transfering, ripping, etc. Success.

Don't worry, my lovelies. I managed to make it to the SSA office AND the DMV today so am officially back to my old self. (Pun intended.)

Thanks for listening with your eyeballs, ladies and gentlemen.

Much Love!

1 comment:

Goofy McWanker said...

You adeptly summed up that evening very well...I remember it like it was the day before yesterday. *sigh*. All I gotta say is, I LOVE THE SECRET OF NIMH! I'd almost say we made up for the prior week that, if you recall, consisted mainly of us changing your flat tire and retiring to our separate beds to battle our icky sickies. Good times.