Thursday, July 10, 2008

Absolutely Genius!



Once upon a time there was a store named "Kentucky Fried Chicken". "Kentucky Fried Chicken" was founded by a man named Colonel Harland Sanders in 1952. "Kentucky Fried Chicken" was shortened to "KFC" in 1991. Every Mother's Day, my family would head to the KFC and get a bucket of chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, potato wedges, biscuits, coleslaw, and their homemade root beer. A family tradition to give Mom the day off from cooking. The one Sunday a year that my dad would actually spend money. I'm not kidding. Imagine this- Superbowl Sunday comes around and into the microwave goes the Little Ceasars pizza that was purchased the day before in order to avoid the sin of Sunday-Money-Spending. Ah, it was glorious. But I digress......

The drumsticks were the desired hunk of meat and we always had to make sure to split them evenly among the kids. I mean, honestly, one person can't just get them all, right? We'd gorge ourselves on greasy chicken and side dishes until we couldn't even move. And then we'd wash our hands with the little hand wipes they provide (in the package with the famous "spork") which always smells like Fruit Loops to me. And I'd be content and happy.

Now that I am older and wiser, I still embrace the belief that KFC is a smorgasbord of pure love. Powdered mashed potatoes have never tasted so good. Chicken with an inch of greasy skin have never been beat. And the Macaroni and Cheese? Well, let's just say that if I died with KFC's Macaroni and Cheese dripping from my mouth, I'd be dying a happy woman.

Remember how you used to have to order everything that you wanted separately if you were just eating for one? I couldn't really ask for a large bucket of chicken with the large sides it comes with on my own, right? So this is what I would say: An individual size of popcorn chicken, a large side of mashed potates and gravy, and a large side of mac'n'cheese. And then I'd return to my childlike state of gorging. But............ now I can get my mashed potatoes and gravy and popcorn chicken in one big bowl! I mean, seriously? How in the world did I live without the Mashed Potato Bowl for so long? Granted, I lose out on my mac'n'cheese. But have you tasted the Mashed Potato Bowl? It's amazing! It's like going into a restaurant and having them throw a bunch of wonderful pleasures into one bowl for you to eat!

Now I need to go and finish gorging on my bowl of happiness as I've spoken my peace.

Much Love!

1 comment:

LT said...

For some reason I'm hungry all of a sudden... Mmmm....Mashed Potatoe Bowls....